Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why we thrift.. and a little update.

Im one that is horrible at blogging, now Im not saying I don't have stuff to share (my stash isn't getting much smaller), its just time consuming, and Im doing better at setting aside that time.
Stopped off at the local thrift store, I hadn't been there in a couple weeks. I needed to get my projects all caught up before I stepped foot in there again. Even tho, that goal to accomplish never came about, I gave in cuz it bothered me that I hadn't been there in awhile.. what am I missing? Whats sitting there? What got taken already? lol Thats one that I laugh about when I walk through..
I was pleasently surprised to find some neat stuff.. A vintage Radio, vintage wrapping paper, old hardware for the bathroom (that Im going to convince the boy to let me put in our new bathroom downstairs), vintage tablecloths and table runners, a barbie for T, and some other nick nacks, maybe if I can find the time today I'll post.
I've been reading on some other blogs about thrifters and re-sellers.. It inerests me...a lot. Never in a gazillion decades would the boy let me collect such. I've learned to appreciate old stuff.. Back in Junior High, I used to wear old 80's tshirts, jeans that went through the wash probably thousands of times, and I loved it.. I was blessed to be in a school where it wasn't all about appearance, it was about who you were as a person.. so a lot of us dressed relaxed and enjoyed our apparel from the past. I've always loved to thrift.. Finding the good in something used made me feel more greener, budget friendly, and also appreciative.. Im sure some of the owners of the things I have picked up didn't want it to go to good will, they didn't want some person to take it, abuse it, and then send it right back to mcc.. Im sure they had better thoughts for the stuff they once owned.. Im trying to respect that thought.
I picked up a doll the other day at a local antique shop.. this man's shop was very interesting.Literally was a loong hallway (maybe only 5 feet wide) packed FULL of stuff.. We spent about a half hour if not longer just moving stuff around and checking out the old gems he had just laying there. I felt like I was looking at puppies, waiting for me to take them home.. Beneath old books, I found this vintage doll. Ayne looked at me and said something that would always stick with me "Wow, just imagine where this doll has gone, the stories it tells".. I loved it. I bought it along with a vintage oil lamp (which also was a delight), and proceeded to go home. Now this old ratty (but gorgeous) doll lays on the old dresser we have in the livingroom that stores all the kids' stuff in it.. I wonder sometimes where this doll will continue to go.. and what little girl wondered the same thing.
Sometime this month I wanna do a thrift-hop. Heading to Morden, Altona, Morris, and Steinbach all in one day would be a thrifters' delight! I used to live in Steinbach and I've fell in love with their store and always got me knocking in my boots everytime they rented out an additional room in the strip they \(were in. I have never stepped foot in Morris but apparently its also quite large. Altona's rather big too and Morden's a bit small but is coming from a community of turn-of-the-century homes.. so there just maybe a vast amount of items up for grabs.
Of course I know theres a huge budget that I'll have to tie myself down with.. space to store all our finds (at home and on the road).. Its going to take planning, planning, planning, and I'd hope Janice and Ayne would be up for it too, cuz the more the marrier (although it means less stuff so I guess I'd have to settle, just kidding).
Today's our DIY day. We planned this a couple weeks ago to get everyone together, our HUGE boxes of half done projects and devote a day in productivity. Today's that day.. I made a delicious dessert, bringing some beverages and lookin forward to a potluck lunch and fellowship! Be on the lookout for a blog post about that!! (and the pics from what I've described too)

Alesha

No comments:

Post a Comment